Turkeys and Trees… The countdown to Thanksgiving and Christmas have begun! The time of year is quickly approaching when we break out the video camcorder to shoot important family times and funny moments that are bound to happen. The memories we want to save and share. But, be honest — are you skills going to earn you an ‘A’ from the family? The better video you can shoot the better memories you will have – there’s just no way around it.
I can help you go to the head of the class in 5 easy steps.
1. Develop a Scouting attribute – Be Prepared!
- Have a spare battery in your bag and an extended battery on your camcorder.
- Pack your power supply or battery charger.
- Bring a Tripod.
- Pack a lens cleaning cloth – keep your lens free of fingerprints and dust.
- Accessories that you may have purchased for filming home movies – this is why you bought them.
2. Use a Tripod
- A tripod designed for video cameras is ideal.
- Use the tripod. Most camcorders are light and difficult to hold steady for long periods.
- Frees you to shoot creatively using the ‘Rule of Thirds.’
3. Mood Lighting
- Turn the lights on and up.
- Lighting and audio are the most notable difference between amateur and professional videography.
4. Check, Check – 1, 2, 3
- Audio is key to getting the story.
- Get the speaker close to the camcorder’s microphone.
- Be cognizant of background noise that may interfere
5. Last but not least…
- Knowing your equipment is key to good videography! This is not the fun step but will give you the biggest return on investment. So… read the manual – you’ll be glad you did!
I have given you a much better chance to capture that “special” memory over the holidays and score an A+ with family and friends!!